Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Place of Beauty and a Whole Lot of Heart


May 19, 2014

 

Dear family, 

 

This week has been rather slow - very good, but slow - so there's not much to report. We were able to go to the temple again. Miguela came to do baptisms for the second time. She says that she wants to go on every branch trip if possible because "the temple is such a beautiful place." We helped her with some family history this week, so she was able to bring her grandfather's name and watch the baptism performed for him. She also has plans to gather the necessary information for several other relatives. 

 

After she did baptisms, she changed out of her wet clothes and came and sat down next to me outside the font, where I was watching the others. I asked her how she felt being here for the second time. She told me that as she stood in the font and came up out of the water she felt beautiful. "I don't often feel beautiful," she said to me, "but when I'm in the temple I always do." 

 

As for the rest of the week, the biggest news is that we received transfer calls last night and... guess what? I'm leaving La Venta! I'm not sure where I'm going, though - I'll find that out tonight. 

 

It's going to be a lot harder to leave La Venta than it was to leave Azua. I've really come to love this little branch - many of them have become like family to me and I'm really not looking forward to all the good byes that I will have to say tonight. 

 

I don't think I'll ever serve in another branch quite like La Venta. Admittedly, they can be slightly dysfunctional and, at times, irreverent - but they have their hearts in the right place... and I don't know if I'll ever find another branch with as much heart as they have. 

 

 

Interesting thing that happened this week:

 

- Raysa bought the statue I painted at Josefina's and has it displayed in the front room of her house. She collects African/Taino art and says that it fits in perfectly with her other pieces and that when she looks at it, it reminds her of me. 

 

 

Until next week, 

 

Hermana Kaitlin Olsen
Some interesting flavored incense at the store
An average night in the house
 

No comments:

Post a Comment