Monday, June 2, 2014

Second week in Ocoa


Dear family, 

This week was still part of the process of adjusting to the new area: the nature of the work is unique in every area and each one has its own way of operating.  For example, in Ocoa we work a lot more with menos activos (less active members) because there are just so MANY of them. They’re about 100 or so active members in the Ocoa Branch, but if everyone who had been baptized were active, there would be over 650. We still work with investigators as well, but when I came in the other hermanas didn't have very many, so right now we're trying to build up our teaching pool. And of course, I'm still trying to learn the area because - as I mentioned in my last letter - it’s massive. We probably walk 2.5 to 3 hours a day between citas (and that's if everybody we planned is home), but I'm getting used to it and beginning to learn my way around. 

One significant thing that happened this week though, was the arrival of our new mission president, President Nuckols. We had a zone conference with him and his wife last Wednesday in Bani, and I have to admit that I'm super pleased with them. I think they're super sweet and that they will be good for this mission. They're from California, but they've lived in many places, including France for 5 years. They both speak French fluently, so oftentimes when President speaks he slips in a few French words now and then. Hermana Nuckols doesn't know a lot of Spanish, but she's learning. (And it's weird to admit, but I think that I may have better Spanish than both of them). He is a 6 ft 8 an outdoor adventurer, who loves surfing, biking, and mountain climbing, and she loves to cook, garden, and scrapbook. They're super cute together.


After the conference they gave us all a ride home in their car and we talked with them about the mission (because they're still learning the areas). On the hour ride up into the mountains, they both just kept staring out the window and commenting about how beautiful it was. And, seeing as this area is still fairly new to me, I'll admit that I was doing the same. 


Con amor, 

Hna Kaitlin Olsen
Kaitlin's room

Kaitlin's desk

President and Sister Nuckols


Part of the new area







No comments:

Post a Comment