Monday, August 18, 2014

Un Carpintero & Una Guatemalteca

Dear family, 

This first week with Hna Martinez has seemed to pass very quickly. She's from Guatemala and has only 4 months in the mission. She's very sweet and always happy, which is really helping me. 

She's also really excited about missionary work. She speaks a lot in the lessons, but it's good - I'm learning a lot from her way of explaining things. I also really love speaking Spanish all day - it's like a breath of fresh air. I had almost forgotten what it was like to have a Latin companion.

I'm her first American companion, so she said that she was a bit nervous at first, but that she's not anymore. She does live in a house with all Americans though, so sometimes I worry that she gets overwhelmed with all the English (she doesn't speak any at all), but I always try to make sure she feels included and we speak in Spanish when she's in the room.

In other news, Esterlin's date had been pushed back another week because he didn't come to church. There's a rule that you have to come to church the week prior to the baptism (regardless of how many times you've had in church beforehand). I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever manage to get him in the water. He really wants it, but with his date being postponed so many times, I worry that he's starting to get discouraged. We'll see.

This week, we also started to teach a man named Rubio, which means 'blonde' (and he really is - he doesn't look Dominican). He's a carpenter / work worker and has known many missionaries because he makes wooden plaques of the DR with personalized names and mission dates. We always seem to be passing by his house with an order for him from someone in the zone. 

No one's ever tried to teach him though, because he's active in the Mennonite faith. I like a challenge though, and so far it's going pretty well. He reads the folletos and always has lots of questions. He's receptive and actually does have a sincere desire to know the truth. Our appointments with him usually last almost 2 hours and I use A LOT of scriptures. I can now teach all of the Restoration and the Plan of Salvation using only the Bible (I've been using that scripture reference book that Dad used on his mission and it's really useful). I actually really love visiting him.

Until next week, 
 
Hna Kaitlin Olsen
Hermana Martinez and Kaitlin
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment