Monday, November 3, 2014

November 3, 2014

Dear family, 

This week went by very quickly. Of course, it was Halloween and we got together a party for the branch. It was fun to teach everyone how to celebrate Halloween. When we told them about trick-or-treating, they couldn't believe that you could just go door-to-door and people would hand out candy. We set up a mini-version of it in the church and they all loved it.

This week was also National Day of Service in the DR and we spent half a day helping out in the local Asilo de Ancianos (nursing home). We cleaned, cooked, gardened, and sang them hymns. 

It was also fast Sunday yesterday and Gaby, Yoelis, and Victoria surprised us all by getting up to share their testimonies. They did so well! Gaby shared one of her favorite scriptures (Moroni 7:33), and I don't think I've ever seen anyone as excited to be baptized as Victoria is.

We got transfer calls a few days ago and I found out that I'm staying for a third transfer with Hna Martinez, which means I'm going to finish my mission here in Ocoa! I can't believe how fast the time passes.

Interesting things that happened this week:

- We passed by Carmen one day and she asked for my help for a school project (she's still finishing high school). She said that she had to give a presentation on the Dominican poet Salome Urena and she needed a visual aid. She showed me a picture of her and asked if I could draw it on a large sheet of poster paper. So I did. It only took about 25 minutes. When we saw each other a few days later she said, "I won!" I asked her what she had won. "My presentation," she said, "It was a contest and I won! Your drawing is going to be displayed in town center during a fair in a few weeks!" Surprise, I won an art contest I didn't know I'd entered. Ha-ha

Love,

Kaitlin


The widow (Isabel) from last week's letter
 
The father (Robinson) from last week's letter


Struggling father (Robinson) from last week's letter
Halloween at the church



Cleaning the nursing home

Cleaning at the nursing home

Church yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment